Wednesday, April 15, 2009

entertainment-based worship?

I am beginning to view doctrine more broadly--as more than just a set of beliefs. I really think how we worship declares what we believe about God just as much as our doctrinal statement (maybe even more).

What are we saying about God when we:
  • come to church in flip flops and jeans
  • create worship venues so everyone can sing songs in the style they prefer
  • build purely functional "worship centers" devoid of any beauty or embellishment
  • eliminate light and windows from the sanctuary in favor of media screens
  • rename sanctuaries "worship centers" and churches "campuses"
  • fill worship services with dramas and announcements/ads for upcoming events, and any moments of silence with music
  • greet worshippers with "enjoy the service today"

I worry that we are remaking worship into something for us rather than valuing it as a gift we bring to God. More and more it seems to reflect/imitate our culture, rather than stand in contrast to it. When I enter a church and it feels the same as the rest of my life (complete with Christian pop music I've heard on the radio all week, the same rushed pace, the same noise level, the same dress code, the same kind of building I've been in all week), I miss a sense of having been in God's presence. Are we trying to create something no different than every other part of our lives, or is it happening accidentally?

No comments: